3. Drive an eccentric car or motorcycle (for example, a 1970s muscle car, a bright yellow VW beetle, an ancient Mercedes, a sleek Ducati, or your grannie’s 1985 Buick), and be able to fix it yourself when it (inevitably) breaks down.
4. Live in a unique location in a dark and gritty city (for example, a converted warehouse, a walk-up apartment in an iffy neighborhood, or a de-sanctified church)—no suburban ranch or classy colonial for you.
5. Develop an annoying addiction to a particular designer-label coffee (or tea) and complain bitterly when you are offered any other beverage.
6. Suffer from crippling levels of guilt and self-doubt, and keep reminding yourself that every single bad thing that happens to you and your friends and relatives is all your fault—yours alone, and no one else’s.
7. Choose only extremely hot, sexy, tall, muscular, sardonic guys for boyfriends. (Average Joes and shy geeks can’t handle a chick like you.)
8. Deny your supernatural powers for as long as you possibly can. You didn’t ask for them; you don’t want them. Keep whining, “I just want a normal life.”
9. Develop skills with as many weapons as you can think of and carry all of them on your person at all times: down your back, beneath your jacket, in your shoes, holstered to your waist, under your hair, down your bra, and strapped to your arms and legs.
10. Do not cook—not ever. Keep only beer and cheese in your refrigerator and only crackers and peanut butter in your cupboard. (Telephone numbers for local pizza and Chinese take-out are on speed dial.)
11. Wear only black clothing, preferably tight jeans and skimpy tank tops under a black leather jacket (with loops and pockets for weapons, of course), and underneath it all—lacy silk underwear.
12. Be a redhead, preferably a natural one.
Can you think of any more? Let me know.